Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Clean Apartment Again

Yep.  New cleaning lady.  Started today.  Did a great job.  My apartment is old and will never sparkle, but she came close.  Seems like a nice lady.

Funny how things turn out sometimes.  I am perfectly content to live alone and to see nobody except family.  Now I have nurses coming in three days a week and a cleaning lady once a week.  I thought I would hate having people come and go but I find I really don't mind.  Everybody is pleasant and all seem to have a working sense of humor.   It helps that they all do such a good job.

The heat wave continues.  The humidity was over 90% early this morning, but has gotten better as the day progresses.  Heat and humidity aside, I have canning to do.  Several bags of frozen corn and peas are waiting.  There are several bags of ham bones ready to cook down for ham and bean soup.  I would like to get those canned up by Monday when my next grocery order goes out for Thursday delivery.  Duane set up my big electric roaster for the ham bones and I hope that it won't heat up the kitchen as much as cooking them on top of the stove would.

I am having one more lazy evening, messing about with some genealogy research for a cousin of mine and then no more excuses.  Time to hit the preps.  I fear if all the hate and discontent that seems to be growing in our country keeps ramping up as it has been, it won't take much to ignite a firestorm of violence.  Whatever happens, we need to be as ready as possible.

10 comments:









  1. nice or not, keep an eye on those ladies. They stole my mother-in-law blind. Hopefully, yours aren't that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...Anything of value - and I have little that is of value - is out of sight and they would have to dig for it. :)

      Delete
  2. It won't be long before Mr Jack F. comes a calling. Not sure where but some corn is getting pick down around Hutchinson already. The Cokato Corn what ever they call it starts on Monday. Glad your cleaning is getting done again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time sure flies. I am sort of looking forward to some cooler weather. And I am happy to have some help again. :)

      Delete
  3. So happy that the new cleaning lady is working out.
    I'm with you on the preps & for the same reasons. Still not up for canning though. I still have room in my freezer so I've got some wiggle room. Made another batch of refrigerator bread and butter zucchini pickles last night. One small jar for me and one for the couple who manage one of my gardens. Love this couple - she offers me free market returns. This week it was a small bag of white potatoes. Last week it was garlic and a variety of fruit. I gifted them some cookbooks that I could part with. Love to barter!
    Dog is on round 2 of his antibiotics. Hoping this will get him healthy.
    Take care in the heat.
    SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...The new cleaner seems to be conscientious. She called me twice before she got here because she was running late. I think I convinced her that my schedule is flexible. :)

      Heat or no heat, I needed to make room in my freezer - hence the canning. The one above my fridge was so full of stuff waiting to be canned that it was becoming a hazard to open! I'm only doing one thing a day - you know how that is. But by the end of the week I should get it mostly done.

      Bartering is great. Sadly, most of the people I know just go buy new stuff. I'm not so sure some of them are even familiar with the word.

      Hope the antibiotics do the trick. Give him an ear scritch for me.

      Delete
  4. Glad the new cleaning lady is doing a good job and that you also don't mind having the people in your home. I suppose it makes the day go by a bit faster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn...So far, so good with the cleaner. I can be a bit of a hermit if left to my own devices, so I suppose having people come in is maybe good for me. :)

      Delete
  5. One woman who was cleaning for me stole narcotic prescribed for my hysterectomy. I never took it, so she stole it. Now, this one was coming early and got here at 3 after calling me and saying she was coming over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...She called because she was running late and I'm pretty sure she didn't want to give a bad impression on her first day. She was only 30 minutes late. Before the first cleaning lady started I hid away anything that might pose a temptation to steal. I will give anyone the benefit of the doubt until proved otherwise.

      Delete