Monday, August 13, 2018

Same Song - Second Verse

More heat.  More humidity.  Doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. 

I did manage to can 22 half pints of corn last week.  The rest is going to wait for cooler temps.  Just that small bit of canning heated up my apartment and it took hours for it to become comfortable again.

I have to admit that I have caved when it comes to cooking.  Usually I cook from scratch or I use my home canned food for meals.  But my grocery order this week includes a variety of microwavable stuff.  I just can't make myself use my oven or even the burners on my stove for fear of adding more heat to my small apartment.  I hang my head in shame.  On the up side, I don't suppose that a couple of weeks of processed food will kill me off.  The heat might.  To redeem myself just a little bit, I did order lots of fresh fruit to counter the frozen sausage, egg and cheese breakfast biscuits and the frozen White Castle sliders.  (I love the sliders!)

I have tried unsuccessfully to come up with a way to share my genealogy research with interested family members.  I can enter all the information into a genealogy program on my computer, but the only way someone can access it is to have the same program.  I have tried using online websites for that purpose, but there are limitations with them unless I pay a lot of money for a full featured setup.  I have started a couple of blogs for that purpose only to delete them when they didn't work as well as I hoped.  But over the weekend I think I have found a blog setup that will suit my purposes.  I spent most of the weekend working on it and will continue until I have enough data entered to see if it works.  It is too hot to do much of what I usually do to occupy my time so this is a good chance to work on my sadly neglected family tree. 

Jeri called last evening.  They arrived home from their Alaska vacation Sunday morning, tired but happy.  They took time to drive the coast highway from Astoria to San Francisco.

The bridge at Astoria, Washington


Redwoods in California

And I get some halibut!!  I forgot to ask her if they caught any salmon.

That's all the excitement here.  Hope you all are well and staying cool.  :)

14 comments:

  1. Yum, halibut. Sounds like you are getting some food stocked up too. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina...Halibut - I'm excited! The stocking up goes along at a snail's pace, but any progress is good. Jeri said the pictures were better than she expected from using just her phone. I sure am enjoying them.

      Delete
  2. White Castle?? I love them. My mom craved them back some 58 years ago. I would rather stay indoors too. It unbelievable out, but the corn festival starts today. Parade later this afternoon, Crowning of the new queen, and princess tomorrow. This is the same group my youngest was in two years ago. She has to attend as alumni. Is it winter yet???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. White Castle - a guilty pleasure. They were a special treat when I was a kid! Guess it is getting to be that time of year for the local festivals. Winter is not that far off!!

      Delete
  3. Hot weather is a good time for cold cuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...It is a good time for anything that doesn't require an oven. :)

      Delete
  4. Been on that stretch of road in California many times. Glad they could see it.
    And yea, Halibut!!
    I'm with you and have about 6 entrees in the freezer for when I don't want to cook. It's cheaper then take out or delivery. I try to have a vegetable or salad with the entree.
    The weather cooled over the weekend and even rained a little bit yesterday. It was a nice break from the gardens but I was back at it today. Harvested beans and cucumbers today. Still not sure if the tomatoes will ripen or not.
    Take care, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...It doesn't take much to heat up my apartment. Microwavable works for me until it cools off.
      The Pacific coast is beautiful. I'm looking forward to looking at the pictures they took, both there and in Alaska.
      Still hot and humid here. The good thing is that I am getting some long overdue work done on my family tree.
      Good for you on the fresh veggies!! Hope your tomatoes ripen. There is little better than tomatoes, fresh from the garden. They make store tomatoes taste like cardboard by comparison.

      Delete
  5. I can cook chicken in the crock pot once a week and use it for sandwiches, a green salad, pasta salad, sandwiches.

    Cooking a pot of pasta is also a basis for some cold food. Or, it can be heated in the microwave.

    A can of tuna can be made into tuna salad for a sandwich, to add to pasta, of eaten with lettuce and tomato.

    I never buy frozen entrees, but I will not say I never will! Who knows what I will do in the future???

    Half pint canning is the way I go. I do not want a pint or quart of anything to polish off. A half pint of corn would be two meals for me.

    Try to stay cool! This would be a good time for a popsicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...Good suggestions. Thanks. I like using my crock pot, but my counter space is very limited so leaving it out is not an option. I usually don't buy frozen entrees either, but desperate times call for desperate measures!!
      I can some things in pints or quarts, but mostly I use half pints for the reason you mentioned. Larger amounts go to waste.
      Popsicles are in the freezer. I usually have one for an afternoon treat. They hit the spot in the middle of a hot summer day. :)

      Delete
  6. BW...The fish hasn't arrived at mt apartment as yet. I may have to call my daughter about bringing me some. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have it yet but when we get it, I will deliver some. :)

      Jeri

      Delete
    2. Woo Hoo!!!Thank you, my daughter. I am drooling in anticipation. :)

      Delete