Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Dunderhead

I think I now have some idea of what it took for my small in stature grandmother to make bread for her family of nine children.  She had to have stirred up and kneaded vast amounts of bread dough to feed that crew.  None of them were shy about their appetites.  But she did it on purpose.

I did it because I am a dunderhead.

I was happily measuring yeast into the warm water for the bread.  Thinking about God only knows what.  It wasn't about the task at hand.  And that is where my inner dunderhead took over, and I found I was spooning Tablespoons of yeast - not the teaspoons I should have been using.

Duh!

A quick calculation told me I would have to double the recipe to use the yeast already in the water.  I usually double the original recipe, so now I am making a quadruple batch of bread.  Yikes!

Kneading bread dough that contains 22 cups of flour is not a job for the faint of heart.  Or the weak of muscle.  Took me 20 minutes over the normal ten.  Wore me down to a frazzle.  Dunderhead.

On the up side, I don't have to bake for a while.  I have 4 large loaves, 3 dozen buns and two large pans of cinnamon rolls.

I guess there are some advantages to being a dunderhead.

8 comments:

  1. If I lived in your neighborhood, you'd never have to wonder how to get rid of all that homemade bread! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Gorges...if you lived in my neighborhood, I would surely share! As it is, some of my neighbors reap the benefits when I get carried away with baking. It's a fun thing for me to do now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - your kitchen must have smelt lovely :)

    Hope you had a well deserved cup of tea / coffee with one of those cinnamon buns when you were done...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani...I did. Brewed a fresh pot of coffee and dug right into the cinnamon buns! Sometimes mistakes can wind up being kind of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Well you are prepared! xoxo
    Ps You aren't alone in that boat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary...Is that the Good Ship Dunderhead you're talking about?! If so, Great! We will just keep rowing and bailing and it will all work out in the end. It's good to have company!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone needs to have coffee and be more awake BEFORE she starts to bake. BIG GRIN. Hope your day gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob...Yeah, I know you're right! I usually don't start my day until I have at least 3 cups of coffee in me. Bad things happen when I am not well caffeinated.

    ReplyDelete