Saturday, February 1, 2014

Confession

I have a confession to make.  My name is Vicki and I am a list maker.  I hang my head in shame.

OK.  Ignore the hanging head part.  I have always been prone to making lists, but in my defense, it has been because I have never had a really good, razor sharp memory.  Which has probably kept me from being a world class liar.  I would have too hard a time remembering which lie I told to which person.  The truth, now that I can remember.

But I digress.  I started thinking about list making this morning as I was busy writing yet another list.  Some of the bloggers I read have been talking about perusing seed catalogs and making their seed order lists.  I can't do that.  I used to, when I lived further north and had a huge garden every year.  Love those seed catalogs.  But now I live surrounded by concrete and asphalt.  Tomatoes and potatoes and carrots just don't grow well here in my parking lot.  So I look to the Farmer's Markets.

A couple of weeks ago I took stock of my shelves of home canned goodies.  Made a list (yeah, I know) of what was left and what I would need to replace.  Did the same with my shelf full of dehydrated foods.  Using those lists as a guide, I figured out what I would need to buy at the Market this year.  Number One Son does Farmer's Market runs for me.  I'm kind of scared to show him my list for this year.  It is sort of lengthy.  Which translates into heavy boxes and bags of stuff that will need to be hauled up the stairs to my apartment.  So do I show him my list now so he has time to work out and build up his muscles for all of that heavy lifting, or do I wait until it is too late for him to back out.

I think there is something in the air.  And not a good something.  I am not the only one who is ramping up the preps.  I see it on the blogs I read.  I see it in the comments to those blogs.  I read the alternative news sources and even once in a while on main stream news, where this uneasy feeling is being spoken of more often.  It isn't panic.  It is more like folks are feeling that whatever they need to do to take care of themselves, they had better not put it off any longer.

So I make my lists.  And each time I can check something off those lists as done, it makes my future look a bit better.  Maybe being a confessed list maker isn't such a terrible thing after all.

8 comments:

  1. Wise woman you are, Vicki. We try and keep a year's worth of food in our home. Rotation is a booger, but it works. I just finished my list for this afternoon. You are in good company. Welcome to the world of the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephen. I've been at this for a couple of years - wish I had awakened sooner. I rotate as well, use what I store and have nearly reached my one year goal. The food storage saved me from braving our cold winter so far. That is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing wrong with having lists. I get tired of my family telling what to get then they get mad when I don't remember it. Its not due to having a bad memory, as its is having too much on my mind.

    We already have a list going for shopping on Monday, and Thursday.

    Have a good my my friend. Nice out today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just give it to me....I'm a big boy,I can handle it. Duane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob...All kidding aside, I find nothing wrong with lists, either. My only problem is that I usually leave the grocery list in the middle of the kitchen table. But it does come in handy for seeing what I forgot to buy!

    Sun is shining here. Stuck my nose out for a while. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duane...I know you can handle it! You always do. And I appreciate it more than you can know.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vicki I am a little late in getting here but I made it.....
    Myself I am a list maker sometimes I make the lists then lose where I put the dang list so have to make another.
    But good for you on getting things stocked up again for another year. If you can plant things in 5 gallon buckets for your own food...have done this and it does work. The prices of vegies and fruits are gonna rise to an unreasonable price this year. We are all gonna have to help each other out this year. Nice to hear from ya again....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to hear from you! I thought about tomatoes in buckets, but the only place for them is on a communal deck. Things left on that deck tend to grow legs and walk off. There is a huge Farmer's Market in the city that my son goes to, where prices have been really reasonable, and the stuff is all locally grown, so I am hoping I can get lots from there. In the meantime, I have three 8-inch wide window sills, facing east, in my living room, and I am planning to grow herbs there. You are right. I think things are going to go downhill fairly quickly. We do need to help each other.

    ReplyDelete